Thursday, February 16, 2012

POST 5, DEHRA DUN


DEHRA DUN
Got a tuk tuk 150 rupees and headed for Shiva Bala yogi ashram. Dehra Dun is quite different. First of all it is clean!! At least the area that I was in. It is quite pretty. Green trees are everywhere, pretty flowers all along the road and the ashram is just full of beautiful colors and smells. The weather is a lot cooler too! The trees help a lot of course. One of the Beatles wrote a song about Dehra Dun but it was never released though they popularized it.
I have the dormitory all to myself and it has a big fan! My bed is next to a huge open window, plus nights are cooler. What an incredible change from the tiny sweatbox with the tiny fan with not much power. I do not think I could have stood another night in the heat. Plus the heat exhausting days when there is no electricity.
All the room had been given out already as a special event is coming up. The remembrance date of Shiva Bala Yogi Maha Samadhi. They had forgot about me as my email was 2 months ago. But everything has worked out nicely. The only thing wrong with my room is everyone can see inside because of the many glass windows, which look out into the hallway.
Oh, I also lost my water bottle holder, must have left it on the train when I jumped up so fast to get off. I really liked that holder, had it for years.
My first day here I had a great multi bucket shower with hot water. Washed my hair, and 2 pieces of clothing. A western toilet that looks like it could be converted to an Indian toilet if you want to climb on it. And the bathroom does not smell.
I was so overjoyed I went to the market and bought 2 big papayas, a huge bunch of bananas and 2 K of oranges plus 2 bags of peanuts and a large bag of almonds for the ashram. To get back to the ashram I got in one tuk tuk and waited, then the guy asked me to get into another one. So off I went with my bags and climbed in the other one. Then I completely missed my stop because I could not see.
Once back to the ashram I was told to put all the food in front of Baba’s alter for blessing. Then I went for a walk. It was so pretty and inspiring. The weather is fresh and it so open in contrast to Varanasi. Even the traffic is normal but no trash on the road is the big one.
Back at the ashram I walk towards the back and meet a man that begins talking to me. I let him listen to KD on the mp3 player and he smiles, he really likes it. We sit down under a tree in the back of the ashram. He tells me he is there to keep the monkeys away from the drying clothes and grains, which were lain on cloth on the ground for drying. He has two sticks-- yep the sticks again! Monkey sticks! His wife joins, then a few young boys. One of the boys speaks some English so this helps a lot. The man has been here for 20 years. He came when he was 16 and then met his wife 2 years later. He asked me if there are Indian people in the USA.
There was a noise in the bushes so I yelled out, “Monkeys, get the stick!” Then 2 men appeared and everyone started laughing except for the curious men that turned out not to be monkeys! They were either government officials of some kind or related to the military-----oopps!!! They lived in the big white house that was just in back of the ashram and directly in front of us. They came up to see who the English speaking person calling them monkeys was.
For the next 1-½ hours the jokes were flying, the wives of the men came out, the kids came out and we had a real gathering with much laughter. Naturally conversation came up about the difference between westerners and Indians. I told my view and a girl about 13 said, “In India we try to enjoy every little thing we do.” Then I talked with her about the importance of never loosing the child’s heart. At a very young 13 this girl knew full well what I meant.
Later that evening Babaji (who was a student and devotee of Shiva Bala Yogi) came out and played harmonium as we sang. He also sang Jai Hanuman Bugarungee. I had the feeling it was for me! He is a lovely man peaceful face, long white beard.
.
The night was not as cool as I had hoped. Perhaps part of it was due to the fact that I had to wear clothes because of my see-through room.
This morning has brought with it a deep missing of my children once again. So much so that it is very difficult to keep back the tears. It is hard to imagine ever being away from them again.
Today I will help in the kitchen. I am hoping it will help with this unexpected case of homesickness. I also change rooms. My new room is cooler and more private, although very large with 3 beds (although I am the only one staying in the room) plus it’s own bathroom with western toilet and hot water bucket shower. Lots of windows, but with curtains.
I leave tomorrow for Rishikesh. I stay an extra day here as the celebration of Shiva Bala Yogi’s Maha Samadi is tomorrow. There will be many people coming. Today we worked on decorating for the big celebration. We worked with stringing flowers and malas. We decorated the whole room and the beautiful wooden posted bed that was Baba’s. A very large picture of him hung between the wooden poles of the bed, on the wall. It too was strung with beautiful flowers. It was very lovely but no photos allowed of course.
The celebration was very nice with lots of food. It was really nice to talk with some of the people. I have enjoyed it here but tomorrow morning I will be leaving.
When the evening came we all gathered on the terrace to listen to Baba speak and answer questions. I was able to ask Babaji about meditation. So glad!
Tomorrow morning I will be leaving. It is time to go through my pack and get rid of some things. I have carried a small green pack and when it gets too full I take things out and leave for other people. I left things behind in Varanasi and I will leave my black pants behind here. I can live with even less as my trip is much closer to the end that the beginning.
From the ashram I waited on the side of the road for the tuk tuk. Once one actually stopped I was told that I was on the wrong side of the street. I did ask where to catch the tuk tuk and this is the place I was told to wait. So I crossed the street and began my wait all over again. Once the tuk tuk stopped I asked for the bus station for Rishikesh. My driver said yes, so I am finally on my way. After awhile I was told to get off and then on to a different tuk tuk. Finally I am left off at a busy cross street. I am confused and explained I need the bus station but the driver just pointed forward and said, “Bus”. So I got off and started walking. Tension begins to mount. I am not at a bus station. I stand by a bridge with a lot of people. Buses are coming and going so I guess this is good.
Every bus that comes by I run up to and say “Rishikesh” the answer is always’ no, no.’ I lug my pack off the road. Its is hot out in the sun and my energy level is running out, right along with the water my body is giving up to the Indian sun. Then something happens. A man asks, “Where are you going”? I am instantly renewed. Rishikesh-----and he motions with his hand to just, relax and wait. Another bus approaches, ‘Rishikesh’? No, he motions for me to wait. Finally a bus comes and he points and says, Rishikesh. I reaffirm with him making sure I have it right. Yes it is!
It is difficult to get on and I have to more or less launch myself, and in the process I rip my sleeve on a piece of metal. Clothes do not last long here, at least for me. Just have to be holey in a Holy land. I am on the bus….finally. This has been a very stressful time. (Standing on the street at an intersection, watching buses coming and going and wondering if my bus will ever come. And what if it doesn’t? It is very hot and no shelter anywhere. I will not forget to bring a hat and or an umbrella my next trip). If it had not been for the man that asked me where I was going I would still be standing there!

No comments:

Post a Comment